Ankündigungen: Willkommen im Forum! Wir möchten Euch bitten keine Namen von historischen Personen als Nick zu verwenden. Danke!

*** Welcome to the forum. Please do not use names of historical persons as nickname! Thx. Please Sign in ("registrieren")!

History of War - Forum : Rules questions : Blocking Air Units
()
New Topic Post Reply
Beitrag von Nachricht
Dauntless_dad
Level: Member
IP: Logged

View Profile Send Email to User
icon Blocking Air Units

Hi! I'm brand new to HoW, and I just played my first game (Pacific Edition, English language) last night. For a game as complex as this, it went very smoothly. However, I had a question come up that I thought I knew the answer to, but was unable to find in the rules. Can non-fighter air units be used to block enemy air units? For example, if my opponent attempts a Base Attack! can I block his bomber with an unlocked bomber of my own in my assembly area? Similarly, if I launch an attack in a territory using a fighter unit and my opponent only has unlocked bombers there, can he choose to block my fighter with one of his bombers or is he unable to block, allowing my fighter to attack the bomber of my choice?

We played last night that only fighters are allowed to block, but looking back and after re-reading the rule book I'm not sure that was correct.

26-05-2007 at 17:20 | Antwort mit Zitat
Konwacht
Level: Moderator

icon Re: Blocking Air Units

No, you can block with whatever aircraft you want to - it just has to be unlocked and in the same territory (or the assembly area when blocking base attacks). So, bombers and other "flying objects" can block fighters, yes they can

(Right, looks a bit ... funny... when my B-17 crosses the way of your Me-109 and block it ... but the rules say it is possible)

26-05-2007 at 20:14 | Antwort mit Zitat
Dauntless_dad
Level: Member

Thank you for answering so quickly!

I thought that might be the case. I think what happened was that I was remembering the playing tip that says, "This way your opponent is forced to leave some fighters or anti-air guns in his Assembly Area to be safe", and I misinterpreted that to mean that only fighters or anti-air guns can block air units.

By the way, what is the purpose of the two-piece cardboard dial that comes with the Pacific Edition starter set? It is not mentioned anywhere in the rules. We assumed it was to be used for games that are played to a pre-determined turn limit. That might prove handy, because our game last night using just the starter set went on for five hours before we settled for a draw after our Depots were nearly exhausted and it didn't appear either of us would be able to reach the 15-point objective. We had each captured one 8-point territory and were left to fight over the two remaining 6-point territories, meaning one of us would have had to capture both of them to win.

Still, I must say that it didn't seem like a 5-hour game because it really held our interest and the time flew by unnoticed.

26-05-2007 at 23:17 | Antwort mit Zitat
Roland_09
Level: Moderator

There are a few territory cards (not yet available in English, though) that require you to keep track of the number of turns that have passed, as there are certain effects based thereon.

The dial might also be useful in determining who is the attacker / defender in a given turn, should there be some confusion... Other than that, it's just a gimmick.

Oh, and welcome to the forum...

Tatmotiv: KILLERSPIELE!!!
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/0,1518,612826,00.html

Save the children!
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/02/save_the_children_from_global.html

27-05-2007 at 02:18 | Antwort mit Zitat
History of War - Forum : Rules questions : Blocking Air Units New Topic Post Reply

Login ? Username: Passwort: Passwort vergessen ?
Forum Eigenschaften:
Wer kann neue Beiträge erstellen ? HoW-Team, Moderator, Member, Member, Member
Wer kann auf Beiträge antworten ? HoW-Team, Moderator, Member, Member, Member
Wer kann Beiträge lesen ? HoW-Team, Moderator, Member, Member, Member, Gast
HTML An ? no
UBBC An ? yes
Wortfilter ? no